Monday, September 30, 2013

Grandma Gladys would be proud, she loved getting caught red handed....

Poppie dug all my beets a couple of days ago so this morning I finally got time to boil them up and peel them.  You know that they are supposed to slough their peels right off but I had to persuade many of them with my plastic spoon so I am very red handed.  There are a lot of them that are nowhere hear the 2 inch diameter that the pickled beet recipe calls for and Poppie thinks that I am a wasting my time peeling them but think what good little pickled beets they will make.  I have a great large bowl of them all peeled several are giants and there are the little wee ones but for the most part they will all be lovely pickled beets.  I canned all my beets last year into just canned beets, I had not ever got to make them with my fear of the pressure canner still weighing on me all those years, and so last year I made a bunch up.  I didn't have my technique all that refined and a lot of them siphoned their water off so since I read about botulism last week I am now afraid to use them.  

We have eaten a good many of them and they have caused no problems but I was reading on Facebook on my canning group site and they got into botulism.  I finally just looked it up and found there are about 116 cases in the last 20 year, 48 percent from canning, then mostly from babies getting it from honey, after babies comes black tar heroin users so we are safe here don't you know, or people leaving baked potatoes in aluminum foil and I don't foil my potatoes anyway.  CDC reports the following.

Protect yourself from botulism: When in doubt, throw it out!

Home-canned vegetables are the most common cause of  botulism outbreaks in the United States. From 1996 to 2008, there were 116 outbreaks of foodborne botulism reported to CDC. Of the 48 outbreaks that were caused by home-prepared foods, 18 outbreaks, or 38%, were from home-canned vegetables. These outbreaks often occur because home canners did not follow canning instructions, did not use pressure cookers, ignored signs of food spoilage, and were unaware of the risk of botulism from improperly preserving vegetables.

116 cases in 20 years is a pretty low incidents, and only 48 cases from canning, so canning by far and enlarge is pretty safe.  I do know that the highest incidence of home canned botulism is from beets or corn.  So I am going to try and especially be careful of the beets and since, the ones I did last year haven't gotten eaten in the last year, they are a little short on water and are in pint jars I am going to happily give them to the pig so I can put my beet pickles in their jars.  I think the runs along better safe than sorry lines.......

Off to make pickled beets.... I pray the Lord speaks to you, I know that until the Lord speaks to you nothing else toward salvation can happen.  I do know that faith cometh by hearing and the easiest way to hear God is by picking up his Word, the Bible and reading it..... He will talk to you. Try and see if he doesn't..... tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....