Saturday, May 5, 2012

Baby goats all moved to a new pen, well most of them, Girls gone, turkeys are getting a new home.

I spent the morning moving my front room around, Mokie is milking Professor's goats and feeding his rabbit for a few days so had her kids as well. I think the room will come together nice if I ever really get time to do it right.  The table is not quite where I thought it would go but we will be able to eat in the dinning room.  I got my drum carder in the middle of all the work so got to look at it but didn't really get to even see it.  I had to finally break down and buy a new one, I couldn't find a used one so ended up buying one direct from the maker, which made it 50 dollars cheaper than through etsy or ebay.  I got free shipping too so that was nice.  I ordered it with one of the medium drums, 120, I liked that I could order different drums as needed to make it capable of carding coarser or finer wools.  Now if I can resist and get my house spring cleaned before I start cleaning wool and spinning.  I know me and once I start all else will seize to exit until I master it all. I do have to get Poppie or Son to make me a picker so that will help to keep from starting right away and putting the house on the back burner, which I am not going to do, this time.  My bathroom that has become a nursery for turkeys and an incubator hut will not survive if I don't get those turkeys our of it and into a turkey nursery anywhere but in my girls bathroom.  You can even imagine the damage, all cleanable, that 5 turkeys can instill on a bathroom.  I got them a new heat lamp and they are definitely going out side TODAY.   The girls are gone so will have plenty of time to entertain myself with the clean up.  They did go to the farmers market it Zootown with Grandpa, he is a board member and tries to make it regularly with his plants.  He does do our locally one as well but it is not starting until June.

We made a pen in the back yard to hold all of the baby goats that are ready to wean.  We ended up leaving the Boers and two little female, that are too young to wean, with their mommas.  I put 5 in the pen and  Mokie added her 3 bucklings, one has to be cheerioed so will soon be a wither, and she put in her little doe that is being bottle feed.  She didn't stay as she managed to figure out how to get out during the night, she is still much littler than the other babies, bottled feed babies some times are just stunted, she was small to begin with as well.  We did have to resort to trickery to catch all the babies from their mommas but all are moved, all horse this morning from crying, thank the Lord for good insulation as their pen is right behind the house.  We will be milking does this morning after Mokie returns from the Professors.  I will gladly be making cheese regularly from now on.  I have lots of frozen milk for soap on hand from last year.

All the piglets should be going homes soon, but for the one what has the enlarged testie, he could be cut so we are going to eat him as a whole pig at my 4th of July party. He most likely got stepped on before he was moved to the weaning pen.  I have to advertise goats and some market pigs, all the weanies are spoken for,  Mokie and Son will have more of them to sell in August so the cycle is starting to actually be a cycle.  I am going to get a couple of Boer does from the buckling I sold last year to the Crazy Goat Lady in Lake County.  We are trading a weaner pig boar, I will end up with granddaughters of my beloved Rosie that died last year during the great cougar raids.  Life is good, slow paced here on the little "hobbie" farm, I do know I spell it wrong but it is one of my quirks and homage to my mom.  I like that we are able to step back and pace our lives as we like.  I don't understand and never did understand the need to keep up with the Jones, who said they are doing it right anyway. ......... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....