Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Long hard day, responsiblity won out and the right thing was done in the end.

Mokie, this one is for you.... Yesterday started in a whorl wind, we were out beginning to milk when Mokies dog got off  the chain.  The dog is usually pretty happy and mild when she is off but something was definitely not right, she seemed to have snapped she attacked my cat.  Mokie was trying to catch her as she made a pass threw the goat pen, does and withers were running everywhere as she tried to catch the peahens.  They each flew to the top of the tallest trees they could find, took most of the day for them to come down.  She had broken her collar and I finally caught her, we were trying to find a different collar to chain her up until Son or Poppie came home.  I told Mokie to try her on the choke chain and we thought the situation was settled.  We finished up the milking, Mokie was taking the kids home and I was carrying a bucket of grain to the weanling pen when Mokie began running and screaming toward her green house.  I watched in amazement as Bubbie wobbled and bumped along on her hip all willy nilly.  I put down my bucket to go see if I could help and find out what was the matter, she started screaming I thought Sadie, then maybe Minnie and I saw her drop the baby in Seconds lap and ran even faster.  I then saw that she was wrestling with the dog that had been off the chain and screaming.  The big dog ran away and she screamed can you catch her,  I went to catching her still not sure what had happened.  Mokie reached down and picked up my pregnant long haired Chichuaua, Muddles or MudPie as Mokie calls her,  her favorite of my dogs, the one she has been trying to convince to live with her.  She was bleeding and had a tear in her skin.  I took a collar off of one of the goats, caught the dog and chained her up.  Mokie was crying, kids were crying and it was chaos.  I walked over to see how bad the dog was hurt.  She in the end had a superficial tear in her groin, we think she is going to be ok, not sure about the puppies, at this point, but we will see.  I used bacteria buster on her, and we gave her some penicillin. She is very sore and has limited use of her back leg, She was tucked all into a soft warm blanket and the kids were feeding her hot dogs at Mokies.  I told her if she takes care of her she will bond and want to stay with her, a blessing maybe in the middle of such trauma. 

Mokie called Son, and then Shinny, the dog needed to be put down immediately.  Any dog that chases, harasses or kills animal in a neighborhood is a dead dog, it is the law.  Mokie did the right thing, though she loved her dog, it was the right and absolute thing to do.  Shinny kindly took her and did the right thing as none of us could leave to do it.  Boy was upset with his mom, much like his mom has been upset with me for 15 years ago when we had to put our old dog down. Her old age and withering away had brought her to incontinence and not being able to stand, we had to put her out of her misery but Mokie hadn't understood.  She may just a little bit more today.  Shinny and Son both talked to Boy he still didn't understand but accepted the dogs loss.  I told Mokie she needs to not get another puppy until I breed Mishka when she is older, a couple years and I can find a suitable stud, her puppy would be a much better option for our little farms.  Mokie is in agreement and Boy is looking forward to the future time.  There are rules of conduct in a neighborhood and when you can't assimilate to them or even obey the law you can alienate your neighbors and become an outcast of your own making.  Mokie understands the easy going compatibility we have with our neighbors, she stood up and did the right thing for the animals, the kids and the people we care about in our neighborhood.  That is why the law in Montana is so clear when there is a dog that is useless, and a danger to the neighborhood, to bad there are some people who chose to be criminals and harbor their mincing dog, well for the short term any way. A devil dog will eventually be out killing again and his time will come, patience is a wonderful things and we are patient neighbors, one and all, and all know the law says we can kill it if we catch it on our land. Funny how easy it will be especial when it gets away as it is being paraded back and forth on a leash so much as a challenge.  All are waiting and watching to finish the job I spoke to the Sheriff and he said we didn't even have to call the cops until the job was done and then they would deal with the body being retrieved.

I hope today is better, I have mailing to do, diaper covers, an upcycled outfit and an altered book frame.  Mokie and I are going to do the flea market this weekend.  I hope we don't get poured on and sell something if not we may just call it quits early and enjoy the Memorial day for a change, Memorial BBQ what a alien thought..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....