Monday, May 21, 2012

What is our purpose on this earth, If the Lord gives us each one what is mine? Do you know yours?

The Preacher had a stirring sermon, this Sunday.  He is not a fire and brimstone preacher, and he has spent the entire time I have gone to this church on one section of the bible in the first hour and the second hour on only a few different areas.  He is pretty thorough on his studying a subject.  We have studied the virtuous woman for most of that time.  Mo'ses and Joseph as well.  I have only got to go on Tuesdays once but it was a different area study.  I like that he is pretty close to the words of the bible as we study not a sermon built on a single versus and then off on a rant like some preachers can do.  He often says that he doesn't know the needs of all the members, or what they will take away from the sermon, that is for the Lord to give.  I like that thought, makes me think that God speaks to me on the subject I need to hear about.  The Sermon was about the purpose that the Lord had for Mo'ses life.  How he worked in him to makes great changes for the Hebrew people and lead them to the promised land if not into the promised land.  A very nice sermon.

Cubbie and Boy went with us to Church they had specific orders, from dad, that if they weren't nice and were naughty Poppie was to call on his cell phone, that Poppie never takes to Church but was in his pocket turned off just encase it was needed,  never came out they were very good.  They were so happy to be allowed to go with us.  They were both very shy and quite.  They are learning to love the Lord.

I found as I sat listening to the sermon, holding my little granddaughter in my lap, God talked to me about my purpose in life.  I had a teacher, the president of the local Mormon Church at the time, who told me I was smart enough to become anything I wanted and do anything I wanted but I would chose to be a mother and wife.  I am not sure I know what he meant at the time.  I was being pushed to want to go to college as a student but not sure I every really wanted to enough to go.  I would have liked the challenge of the learning but probably not the being away from my family or the loneliness of being without anyone I knew.  I am not an explorer, I am more of the woman in the covered wagon that kept the fire going and drove the team with a whole passel of kids.  Even then I knew I wasn't going to conquer the world.  The Preacher often speaks of training up a child, much different than teaching a child the way he tells it.  He speaks of training as a ingraining of character into our children, training them that something is right and other things are wrong.  He is not always that big on teaching them compromise and I have contemplated his thoughts.  I do believe on many levels his has the right of it, though I do differ on a few specifics.  I do want my children to be good with family values, the way I was taught by my parents.  I do think that alot of the things wrong in this country is due to parents not teaching, or maybe it is training, their children how to work, how to parent, how to be a member of a community or a church.  I do think that so many of our values are being cast aside, compromising our beliefs is eroding our society.  The allowing of others to change who you are so they can  promote their agenda is wrong and we should not be swayed but many of the things that come down the pike.  Family is important to me but for some reason our society is more and more for throwing it out.  Marriage is being attached.  I am for civil unions and I do believe that marriage is an institution, given to us by God for one woman and one man, is something that is right.  I do think all people have the right to the same protection under the law but I also don't believe in one man and 5 wives and God didn't either.  I digress, I am not wanting to discuss things I really don't care about, and civil unions is something that doesn't effect my life so I don't have a real thought on how it develops.  I do read my bible and know God set up marriage for a man and his wife.  I find the more I read the bible the more I see that God actually allowed people to do as they want in general,  it is only the people that are called, and accept, his calling that he speaks to.  How many times are complete nations, that didn't listen to his voice, completely destroyed in the Bible.  God wrote the bible and gave us the word, us meaning those who hear its calling and obey its command, those who believe that Jesus is the son of God and asked to be saved.  I don't think God dwells much on people or peoples that walk away or don't hear his calling, he loves all peoples but allows them to walk away to their doom.  In that light I don't think that God worries much about all the things people do in this life if they are not saved and following his word.

I got off track sorry,  I did mean to talk about what I thought God's purpose for me is, not a college grad, as I have said.  I would say I am fairly well self educated.  I have been many things in my life, a dispatcher, a manager, an emt, an executive director of my local help line, and many other things but I am not any of these.  I am an artist, a crafter, a farmer, a gardener, a cheese maker, and hopefully to be a spinner but still not my purpose in life, just part of the me that I have become with God's guidance on my path.  I remember my grandfather speaking, more than once, about my grandmother Gladys and my mother both getting a double helping of mothering from the Lord.  I wonder could it be that I have that too.  I wouldn't have guessed that my teacher all those years ago would have seen that in me. I do know that at the time I would have thought that was the last thing I would want to become having been doing alot of mothering for a long time at that time.   I guess maybe I have been in training to be a mother since I was 14 months.  I remember knowing how to change diapers for Sister when I was 3 and half years old, I was 3 and a half and had 4 younger siblings.  I was always a second mother to my siblings along the way, how could I not have been I am the oldest of 12.  I was trained to do all sorts of home crafts as I grew from a young age.  When I would know, or now know, how to do something people say' how do you know how to do that?' I asked 'how do you not know?'.  I was trained to be a mother, a wife and maybe that is the path God has wanted me on all along.  I have been a mother all my life in ways and now find I am a "Nannie" to many more, I don't actually know how not to be a mother, I guess I was trained to do what I was supposed to do.  They say if you are trained to do something in an emergency you always go back to your basic training, could it be I am basically a mother and wife to the core of who I am?  I know how to love children, I try to speak to them not down to them, I am not a push over I expect what they are capable of when they are capable of it.  Maybe just maybe I have spent my life on the path I was intended for all along and I just spent a long time trying to find me when I was already where I was supposed to be..... tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....