Thursday, May 31, 2012

Handles, do you ever think about them much? I don't all that often either....

It is funny when I was born no one would have said to my parents what is her handle?  I think that my parents may have thought the person who asked was crazy.  I would guess right now, in this day and age, most of you would know what a handle in that context is.  I think, but I am be wrong, it came into being as part of the CB culture.  If you are to young to know what a CB is, you should look it and eight tracks up, a good history lesson you might enjoy.  I would say that this interpretation of handle is much like, other words that have evolved in my life time.  Crack, boobs, bitching, weed, just to name a few, No, I am not old enough to have pre-exited crap. It is an interesting word process though but I don't want to digress that far off track. You should look up the root of crap it is an interesting word.

So I am now a handle, I choose one of my favorites, Nannie.  But what of handles, when did they come about, and not the name ones.  I am sure it was a revolutionary invention at it's inception.  Was it as big as the wheel, well, probably not but it is an important part of our lives even if we never even consider them as we go through our days.  How many handles to you touch or use in a day, ever think of it?  Well in my life in just a few minutes of thought there is the handle to flush, the handle you don't want to turn after you turned the one that brought you the water to wash you hands so you try to do it with out having to rewash.  There are the handles that turn on the tube, that is if you still get off your bum to do it and don't just click it, well that handle is now a push button so maybe it doesn't count after all. Is a knob a handle mmmm.  There is the handle that brings the water to make the coffee. The one to open the frig to get the milk and eggs.  The one on the pan to fry the eggs. The one to open the door to take you kids to school, after you opened the one that got you out of the house with out the dogs.  The one on the gate, and the list goes one.  Can we function without handles?  What a simple little thing they are but most of us can't imagine living with out them though we don't even think about them in our lives.  I wonder what was the first handle.  Was it the handle of a sword to keep the steel, well maybe not steel but the earlier metal that was our first sword, from cutting the hand that wheeled it?  Was it the one on a cart so that we could haul more weight and make our work more stream line.  I have no idea what the first handle was, maybe I will look it up, do you think that anyone keeps records of handles that way? 

I do know that sometime the lose of a handle can be a very disruptive thing.  My, new to me, car had a handle that didn't quite work when we got it and it eventually didn't work at all.  Poppie had to fix it as crawling in from the other side was a real hardship.  Funny to think of that as a hardship in the realm of this life.  It was and we were breaking the console going over it all the time.  He got a little help on how to fix it and eventually had to trade the back door parts for the front door parts so we could use it more.  We are still looking for the parts for our handle to get it all fixed up.  Do you ever miss handles in your life?  What would you do with out an important one that you have never even thought about before?  What if you couldn't get into a door, and your child was in distress on the other side, would it be important then?  What if that precious water was taken away because someone maliciously stole your faucet handle?  What if someone took your handle to something you needed to open, use, or push, so many possibilities there are.  What if they had to give it back?  Is stealing a handle like stealing a horse?  Well maybe not but then again maybe so. We have laws that protect us from horse thieves, as it could be a matter of life and death, water right laws are of similar importance in this state so maybe stealing your ability to access water is the same as steeling a horse, or it was at a time in our history.  We all have handles in our lives, are they important? Can you do without them?  Do you need them?  Ever consider the value of a handle maybe some are priceless and maybe some are just handles..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....