Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ribs gets the whey, feta to cut this morning, 7 does twice a day with a Bubbie too fun.

Mokie and I milked goats for the first time without Poppie yesterday morning, we had three preschoolers and a Bubbie.  It was an interesting accomplishment and a bit of a juggling act so to speak.  Bubbie was content for the first little while, in her play gym, but soon felt she needed held in the middle of all the commotion.  I tried to put her in the swing with her bottle but no such luck.  It was a good thing that she didn't get really upset until the last two does.  Lilly was surprisingly much better without Poppie being there, we think his frustration is felt by her and helps to upset her.  We are no longer allowing him to be at the stanchion when she is being milked.  He can help catch her in the evenings, when he is home, but no being at the milking stanchion.  She was actually a lady last night, which is very nice as she is one of the goats that give the most milk.  She may just live up to being as good a milker as her mother was reported to be.  The Crazy Goat Lady from Polson left a message on my machine last night that the two little Rosie Girls are old enough to come home so will be making arrangement to go get them soon.  I can wait to see them, the grands of my Rosie.  I haven't named them yet but will be thinking of R names that will honor my old gal, she and Cleo were my first and will always have a special place in my heart and they will bless my memories.

I got a nice batch of feta yesterday, so around a total of 7 pounds aging.  The whey went to Ribs, and as Brut was lounging in the hut, just like a man, she slurped it almost all up before he knew she had it.  Bright girl that one.  lol.  She really needs it she had a bit of a sick and lost some weight but is now on the mind and regained her health.  I will finish cutting the feta this morning, into the rock salt then into brine.

I borrowed a front pack from Booboo to carry the Bubbie in so milking should go a little smoother this morning or maybe she will be napping and that would be an even better blessing.  I am excited about having all the milk to work with and cheeses to make up.  I can freeze the mozzarella for next winter, I can age the feta and make up some cheeses to wax, it is like Dr Seuss says the "thinks we can think"  have a great day and I hope you remember to think thinks in your life..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....