Friday, March 4, 2011

Life long upcycler, I like that new name for it, and proud of it!

I was born in the time God meant for me. I have avidly studied history all my life and I would have loved to have been born in numerous eras of time, the history you could have lived in; but the reality is if you study deeper than the text books, about most times, they worked harder than we do now. They didn't have the freedoms and the rights that we do. I don't know about you but I like the freedom and rights I have grown accustom to. I also live in a new time of history being made, but then all current generations live on the cutting edge of history, and yesterday, is past history by tomorrow. I also get the luxury of choosing the past as an example of how I live my life and guide my children through the choices they would like to make.

Theodore Roosevelt said, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." His quote has always been so apt for my life. I came from a family that for generations have done just that. I remember being taught all the domestic crafts, the generations before me knew, and passed down. I learned to cut up any usable cottons, while doing laundry, and ironing them for quilts that we would make. I knit, crochet, embroider, cross stitch, patchwork and quilt, applique, cook, can, process meats, iron, wash laundry with wringers, top load and front load, the list goes on but my point is that it was just part of growing up in my family. I have often been asked how do you know how to do all those things. I, as a child, would look at the person asking and wonder why they didn't. I don't know when families quit teaching their children what they knew but in my family we have not.

I breastfed and cloth diapered my older children, due to the unsettledness, and that, I am not their biological mother I didn't get the opportunity to do the same with my younger children. I would have loved to for them. I made clothes, for all, from recycled old clothes and tried to use what we had at the time. I now find that a lot of the young mothers are doing the same thing in this generation. I am so proud of the ones that do. We are a nation of plenty, with the thought that we will always have anything we want, and it is only just dawning on some that we can not continue down this path with that as our only thought for our world. We do need to be environmentally friendly, when we can, and not leave our children with crushing debt that they can't possible pay for for our misuses. 

I do love my computer, and the communications with the outside world that is affords me, but I love that I can live off the land, with my children and animals, away from the warp speed that this world is going at. I live in the best of both worlds, the best of era's and the best of times for my world. God does know where we belong....... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....