Thursday, June 30, 2011

The great firework wars that once ruled over our property... days gone by.

We have lived on our property for 28 years this year.  We moved here in the first part of June 1983, Poppie and I bought one acre, or had an agreement to buy one acre.  My parents bought the adjoining property, same agreement from the owner, a couple months after we made our agreement. Their property was a little less than 3 acres. Eventually they bought the acreage on the other side of them, which they sold to Drama Queen, and we bought the acre next to us.  The acre we bought had been lost to an ex-wife in a divorce so we actually owned it free and clear before the Owner of the original properties got all the subdivision problems figured out and sold the property to Us, my parents, Drama Queen and in the end Sister bought part of mom and dad's original acreage. All four families lived on a combined total of 10 ish acres. We put our new house on the new acre we bought and Mokie lives on our original acre now.  We all hat to learn a nicely orchestrated dance on how to live that close, and yet give the others space of their own, it was not always easy and over the years there have been many ups and down.  My mom and dad left, I won't go into why, but in the end it was Drama Queen at the heart of the trouble, lives change and needs have evolved.  My parents felt a need to make a new life with them and their three new baby daughters.  Drama Queen coined the phrase that this was the "hill", I for one find that totally offensive, the place I live is my beloved home, not a  "hill" of discontent.  My mother and Drama Queen still call it the "hill", some of my siblings who don't live here, like and use the term but to me this is where I chose to raise my children and love where I live. Those who don't like the "hill" need not come to our place of contentment or can move away any time they want and we will still love our home. Sorry, I digressed....

I don't know which year the actually bottle rocket wars began but I am thinking about 25 years ago.  It became an annual war, each of the brother in laws would purchase their ammunition, some made guns, much like potato guns, to assist in their delivery or as their weaponry. The basic gist of the wars was that they would take sides and fire their bottle rockets across the field at one another.  I know not allowed most places, probably not allowed here but they had fun and no one ever got hurt, some shirts got heavily damaged, and occasionally there were close calls. But fun was had by all.  Over the years, the wars evolved into sides, so there were only combatants from two sides, everybody shooting Willy Nelly at any one another somehow one year had just not worked. One year my mom's cousin had come to visit and he totally enjoyed his participation in the wars. I don't ever really remember my dad participating, but my mom's cousin, his age, truly enjoy his foray into the mix. A number of years the battle was played out in the horse pen, it was funny to see our horse with her head over my son and nephews shoulders as they lite there rocket to launch at some one, she definitely was not gun shy or firework shy.  Over the years it finally came to an end, I think maybe what was fun at 20 was considerably different at 40, the last war I think was about 8ish years ago. We have continued the tradition of the families getting together and have a big 4th potluck. Years ago it had been at my mom's, then it had been at Drama Queens, but then Poppie and I began having the event due to complications. 

All but the first year we have had it Poppie smokes up a beef packers brisket, we do a pulled pork and this year we will add a big sirloin, I think.  Poppie loves the smoking and so enjoys the process.  I like to make homemade ice cream, have water melon, and the guest all bring side dishes.  We have a pool for the kids to play in and lots of tables so different groups can mingle. Two years ago we made it a surprise 50 wedding anniversary party for my parents, they had no idea, so it was a great success. Since we have been hosting we have invited the neighbors and this year, for the first time, it will be mainly a block party and other friends, I think Sister will be the only one of my family here. Silver is in Alaska, Mom and dad are having their own with others of my siblings, Little Sister will be camping etc.... We usually have around 45 people, I think about the same this year. We eat, visit with friends and at dusk we have fireworks, we try to provide a nice show, with pre fireworks for the kids, some of the guest contribute and usually my brother in law and one of the older kids light them  Actually our rule is anyone is welcome, so come by if you are in the area dinner is around 6ish....  tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....