Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Ladies, grandkids and cookies, some organization a happy summer to come.

Today is the first day of the summer, it is to be nice and no rain for the next two and a half days, not much sun but a blessing to be sure, if it happens, if not God will bless us with more rain. Rain is a blessing as well, I know not why we are being blessed with so much but it is God's will. We were to go get hay today but the hay store, really the hay store, is down to 1 and 1/2 ton's which is not enough to travel a round trip of 120 miles. I stopped in yesterday to pay for the 3 ton but she wouldn't let me buy it, she said she wouldn't hold it, I always thought holding was when you ask to have them save it without paying. I was upset when she said she would have plenty today, as they had 10 ton then she called later and says, they didn't have what we need. She is supposed to have more on Monday and will call. Belle, thank the Lord, had 3 bales left and let us go out and pick it up last night so we will be good till Monday. Son and Mokie have been out for a week and we have been sharing or we wouldn't be down so low.  I really think the rain has caught alot of people short on their hay this year, no spring can do that. It is also more expensive.

I picked up a gallon of syrup yesterday, I am going to cook up some of my own and can it but I have 5 to 7 little ones to feed breakfast to this week and up coming weeks so they are getting sourdough pancakes, or waffles and eggs for breakfast in the morning. It will give them something in their tummies to have enough energy to play; and when I say play there will be outside play for all with only a little electronic allowed, they are all going to be in the reading program for the library so that will cut down on the electronics too, my girls don't do a lot of electronics's anyway but Bug and Daughters do, so at Nannie's there will be playing to do this summer. Nannie has a plan to let them all enjoy their summer, organization will be the key, now if I can organize them and just let them be kids, nothing but fun and childhood for three months. Organized freedom is that an oxymoron?

I am going to make up a batch of my Grandma Gladys's Cottage Cheese cookies.  I put a little spin on them as I find the ricotta goat cheese makes them a little creamier and moister. Here is the recipe, chocolaty and good, what else would any kid want. They are very brownie like.

1 1/3 cups shortening
3 1/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups cottage cheese (goat cheese ricotta)
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons vanilla

Cream all of these together until light and fluffy.

5 1/2 cups flour
1 cup of cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup of nuts

Mix the first three ingredients together as your dry ingredients and add slowly to your wet ingredients, once mixed do not over mix, then fold in the nuts. Chill dough half hour to an hour. Roll into balls then roll in powdered sugar and place on the cookie sheet, do not mash down they will bake down into cookies. bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

One of the wonderful memories of my childhood past down from my Grandma Gladys, my grandma Gladys did not like to be called grandma, she always said it sounded like a calf calling it's mamma.  A bawling sound. She did embrace being a grandma but didn't live in the age, like we do now, where grandmothers got to choose their name that the grandkids called them. We now proudly choose our name, grandma, grandmother, grama, grammie, yaya, nannie, nana, nanny, meema or what ever fun name you share with your grandkids. My mother took this recipe and made it for her children with love, now I get to share it with my children and their children, God willing they will share it with theirs..... tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. These were my very favorite cookies growing up. They are just uniquely different.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....