Saturday, June 2, 2012

A day of working on a lot of stuff but got nothing done.... grain trip.

Today Poppie and I are off to get grain.  I awoke yesterday, and after coffee, stacked the dishwasher, ate eggs and toast.  The day had begun.  I washed the cheese in the frig that Poppie had helped me put in the studio.  I am hoping to figure out how to regulate the humidity and the temp.  It is actually to cold and dry as it is a good frig.  I can't leave the cheese out as it gets to warm with out a real cave, we do hope to get a cellar this next year but for now we make due.  A cellar for cheese and mushrooms can't wait.  I digress.  I need to get a big Tupperware or Rubbermaid plastic bin for the frig for the feta so I can get my jars back for milk.  It is nice to have a frig just for cheese, milk and eggs.  I will have place for salad and desserts on the 4th, yay.  I have put some water jars in the frig and have put the cheese at the bottom.  I put the cheeses in the humidity draws but the hygrometer says it is still too dry and cold.  I am working on it.... maybe a jar of boiling water periodically would help.  More plastic bins with water... oh well. We will see.

I got the cheese washed then started to culture and warm milk for cheese.  I had that going so helped Poppie feed the animals.  When I got back in I put the rennet in the cheese.  I started a couple rebatches of soap.  Miracle oil and flax seed.  I am hoping to establish a line of ten or so and speciality bars or request bars.  I started sponge for bread and cinnamon rolls for later.  The kids came and we played red light green light, mother may I and Simon says once the Poppie picked up the girls from the last day of school.  Mokie broke Booboo's heart by playing something she called dump truck wreck or something like that.  I knew what was coming, Booboo gave her her marbles, which she cherishes and Mokie said "can we play dump truck wreck".  I said "I would never play anything with Mokie" trying to warn Booboo,  she said "yes" Mokie threw 20 of her marbles, she had counted the amount she was to throw, across the driveway.  Booboo started crying and ran away devastated.  Mokie said " I didn't know she would do that"  I said "Why do you think I said I wouldn't play anything with Mokie.  She adores her marbles and you broke her heart".  Mokie was contrite and began picking up all the marbles.  Yogie, Boy and Cubbie helped.  It took awhile for the last two to be found and Booboo came over to help.  Both learned a lesson about being sisters.

I finished the cheese, it  ended up being feta and I chopped dried chipolte peppers into it, can't wait to see how it turns out.  The bread and Cinnamon's rolls turned out nice, four loaves, one pan for us and two small pans for Mokie and family.  The girls spent the night at Mokie's house.  I made Mokie help me pour the soap into the molds before they went home.  Busy day, nice beginning to the summer.  Poppie and I had steak, potatoes, peas and Cinnamon rolls for dinner, and quiet time, practice for the years to come.  Well maybe not, Cubbie will not be all that quiet as she grows... and Bubbie is no slouch even now.... so maybe all my life will be filled with new generations of loud and in and outs at my house, the possibilities are endless and will be a treasure to discover.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....