Sunday, March 11, 2012

Potluck today, our first with our new church, Babies, babies and more babies.

The Ladies and I spent the morning making our treats for potluck.  Booboo made sponge then bread, Yogie made pie crust, them both helped peel and chop apples for the pies.  Yogie got to make crumble for the top of two of the pies, she ended up making two one for the potluck and one for her dad.  Booboo made the double crust so in the end both rolled two crusts each, they are really starting to get the hang of forming their dough ball, roll, turn, roll turn,  they still get an occasional oblong pie crust or a thin middle or a thin edge but for the most part they can make a killer pie crust.  We always us lard as it is the best.  It was fun while making the pies one of them remembered that in church the Preacher has spoken of raising your children to be good wives and husbands not to be eternal children.  We had a nice talk about how that was what we were doing, and they both assured me they were wonderful cooks, I conceded that they were on their way but probably had a lot more to learn to be good cooks and potential wives. But they were the best 8 and 9 year old cooks I knew.  I layered up the tamale pie and out in the sun shine we went.  I put the pies and three loaves of bread in the oven to check periodically.  The fry bread we finished in the evening.

We feed the goaties, pigs, chickens, turkey and dogs.  The girls went to play with their cousins.  A short while later Yogie came to see if we would help Mokie and Son move a palette for the pig pen they are making.  It was heavy but with all of us it was soon done.  We talked a little while then we returned to the yard.  I shoveled up an old burn pile and Poppie lit a fire of some wood scraps that had no upcycle value.  Thor came by to work on his truck, the one that was part of the deal for my new car.  He wanted to see the animal so we showed him the goats, piglets and the bigger feeders.  We were just leaving the goat yard when Poppie spied two new babies on the ground at Gladys's feet, I still say my grandmother would be happy to have her baring her name.  Gladys is a bit shy so I walked in careful not to scary her.  There laying at her feet were two babies one small and one tiny, both females, which is what I wanted as they are all dairy.  The little one was very weak but I did get her to stand.  I finally checked their teeth and the little ones were not really erupted so she is a bit preemie.  Mokie took her as she wasn't going to make it on her own.  So now Mokie has two bottle babies besides Bubbie.  They are both females so that is a blessing for her, she had all males this year. 

Shortly after the babies were born I asked Poppie to call Herbalist and Professor to see if their babies were dropping, their older does should have actually been bred before my to young ones so should have been ahead or the same as mine. No answer, he tried several time to call, no answer.  It really worried me and I finally asked if we could go on a ride in my new car to their house.  When we got there no one appeared to be there so we drove down to the barn and Poppie checked their goats, two babies on the ground and one in hard labor.  Poppie called Belle, Herbalist and Professor were in Zootown, but she would try to call them.  I started working with the momma in labor.  Belle called back to say Herbalist was home.  Poppie and the Ladies went to get her. I stayed with Spice, the momma in labor.  Herbalist came down, Poppie had to knock hard as she was having a nap.  She and I finally ended up pulling the very large single baby.  I held momma down and talked to her, Herbalist pulled and pulled and we finally got a giant very alert baby.  It was wonderful, had we not gone out there momma and baby would most likely have died.  I had wanted to trade for one of her Daisy's babies but with all the work Herbalist and I did to save them and make a shared memory I asked if I could trade for Spices new baby.  She was happy to say yes.  I named her Saffron, her momma is Spice, it started with a S and she is orange and white in color.  Thanks TO the Lord he sent us out to help, I just couldn't ignore the feeling he kept sending me so away we went and the need was there.  Have a great day and remember to answer the Lord when he tells you to go...... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....