Friday, October 12, 2012

Birthday wishes, Zootown, hay hook, and offended.

Poppie and I went in to the Zoo yesterday, we had to pull a trailer so had limited ability to maneuver in town.  Poppie had a little high blood pressure so has a few options that he is whining about but has a few months to make his choices.  I am going to be poking him until he makes a choice for his life and sticks with it.  We were late getting there and he got right in.  A lady that was in the waiting room was very anger that Poppie got in.  She was there for a first appointment and had been late as well, they would not let her in but rescheduled a later appointment.  She had a bunch of angry words to say to her husband about the unfairness.  She had no idea I was with Poppie and that being late for a status check appointment, which takes about 15 minutes and her initial appointment was probably an hours slot were greatly different offenses.  Poppie had offended her unintentionally.  Her husband finally said he didn't want to hear anymore about it.  I am glad I didn't have to hear anymore of her spiel and got to leave. 

We went over and picked up some items at Costco and Poppie bought me lunch.  He refused to take me anywhere else as he couldn't get parking for the trailer almost anywhere else.  So Poppie is sometimes totally clueless about birthdays but in the end it makes no difference.  We stopped and picked up the lumber we brought the trailer for.  Bug and Poppie are going to fix a roof problem for Belle and had to get the supplies.  We were soon on our way home. Yogie made me dinner later, she fried up burgers and made sweet potato fries, all by herself, so that was a wonderful treat to end my day. 

Poppie and Bug took the hay trailer over to Mokies so that Son could unload the hay into his barn.  Son was gone and Poppie ran over a hay hook with the trailer.  Cubbie and Boy had been playing with it again, which they are not supposed to, so now there is a tire that needs fixed.  Poppie was not happy at all with the flat tire. 

The girls are diligently studying there second parables.  They did very well on their first ones.  They got their bibles for further study.  The bibles are very nice quality.  They are smaller than I thought but they seem to fit their hands so well I think that they were meant to be smaller.  They have gotten to highlight all of the verses they have memorized at this point. They actually know quite a few and they were so proud to see their highlighted pages.  The little bibles are wedding bibles.  I just wrote in the covers my note of giving the bibles to them.  I left the pages for a wedding all open, I think that someday they both will be very proud to use them as real wedding bibles they will have so many loving memories then to bring to their weddings. 

The parables that they are working on this week are the explanation parables of the sower parables they worked on last week.  There are lots of words that are more work than the last parables, bigger unknown words that they struggle with and we gave to talk about their meanings, so they are going to need more time for these 6 and 7 verse memories they are working on.  Booboo is doing Mark this time and Yogies is working on Matthew.  They had done the opposite on the first parables.

Matthew 13:18-23

King James Version (KJV)
18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Mark 4:14-20

King James Version (KJV)
14 The sower soweth the word.
15 And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts.
16 And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness;
17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.
18 And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word,
19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
20 And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

 

 
While we were reading and studying the parables it kept coming to my mind that offended is used in a way that seems odd to me.  I was probably more sensitive to the word because one of the first times I went to Church the Preacher had said, in one of his sermons, "Have I offended you?  Well stick around and I will.  I will offend you and you will offend me. It is what you do with and how you respond to being offended that matters."  He was referring to

Matthew 18:15-17

King James Version (KJV)
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

I understand that kind of offending but I am not sure that that is the offended referred to in the parables the girls are working on.  I finally looked up offend in the dictionary thinking that I must surely be missing something.  Alas I was. 
 of·fend (-fnd)
v. of·fend·ed, of·fend·ing, of·fends

v.tr.
1. To cause displeasure, anger, resentment, or wounded feelings in.
2. To be displeasing or disagreeable to: Onions offend my sense of smell.
3.
a. To transgress; violate: offend all laws of humanity.
b. To cause to sin.

v.intr.
1. To result in displeasure: Bad manners may offend.
2.
a. To violate a moral or divine law; sin.
b. To violate a rule or law: offended against the curfew
 
I guess I never thought of offend as; to cause to sin to violate a moral or divine law; sin.  That gave me lots to contemplate.  Now I have to think, and think, about the times that I have read offend in the bible and not just think about it as to hurt some ones feelings...... I guess I will leave you with that maybe you would like to contemplate as well..  tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....