Friday, May 24, 2013

Break in the rain gives us some gardening time.......

We were supposed to have lots of rain and even some snow in the mountains yesterday.  I think the weather skirted  us so we got to spend time planting more of the garden.  Poppie finally got all of our strawberries into raised beds that Cubbie and I had been working on.  We made a tiered bed out of an old galvanized water trough and a galvanized bucket, both no longer useable for their original purposed due to holes in their bottoms.  I used a plastic planter and an old plastic tub from a wheeliebareeo; wheel barrow in regular people terms, Yogie couldn't say it right as a little child and it stuck.  Cubbie and I wheeled more bark for under fill and then Cubbie, Bubbles and I wheeled manure straw mixture for on top.  We arranged the tubs, planter and trough into a pleasing look then filled around with the bark, a layer of upcycled construction plastic or wrap, then our manure mixture.  We didn't plant anything in the outer fill we had arranged it so that the straw berry runners would grow down into the fill area.  I never really thought of the extra weight of the two girls on top of the wheel barrow full of manure being so heavy.  I did manage to push them up the hill into the garden, together they probably weigh 70 pounds so extra weight in each load.  I didn't think anything of it at the time but last night my hip, that I tweaked hunting mushrooms, throbbed and I didn't sleep well.  I think for future reference they will have to take turns riding the manure "wagon" so to speak.  Nannie is just getting to old to accommodate the extra weight of to many littles on top of the full wheeliebareeo.  Alas we must all bow to times erosion.....

We are blessed with more sunshine, with possible occasional rain showers today.  We are hoping to get the rest of the garden in before a real deluge comes, which could be anytime.  Poppie got two long rows of beans in and I have to pick up more bean seeds and maybe more corn seeds.  Going to go down to grandpas tomorrow and get some tomato, cabbage and pepper plants, a giant pumpkin plant and check out what else he might have the sounds fun.  Poppie saved seeds from his 107 pound pumpkin from last year but he can't remember where he "saved' them at.  I would like to get a hubbard and a few other squash plants as well.  We will stop at the flea market too, it is billed as one of the largest in the state.  I am not participating in it this year so we can just go enjoy it as a family for a first time in a number of years.  I usually just get to slip away for a few minutes then have to come right back to my booth.  Yay, for the freedom to explore and enjoy a family event.  I hope my hip is better by then, no hauling manure and kidlets today for sure.

I got the plans for the finishing of my pantry all sketched out.  I was excited to be able to draw out the upper shelves now that we have all the base cupboards in place.  I think it is really going to be great when done.  I have taken several photos of the process, much to Poppies dismay and grumbling about having to be in a picture.  I will post them in a blog of the finishing of the pantry and see how that goes, more grumbles from Poppie I am sure,  he didn't like that I took a few shots of him and the Ladies planting either.  I still have to download and then post.

I pray for your salvation, and the salvation of all who would come to the Lord.  The Lord calls us to follow the teachings, and examples of the Lord, he wanted for all that hear to believe and I can want no less as his follower.  I hope you hear and follow the Lords invitation today..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....