Friday, May 31, 2013

Why does chaos abound, or maybe it just that I am easily side tracked...... who knew?

Grandpa, Yogie has now dubbed him G-Pa so maybe that is what I will call him henceforth, stopped by a couple of nights ago to drop of 36 eggs he wants us to incubate for him.  He said that the Ladies could keep half of what they hatch, like we needed Banty chicks, not sure what we will do with them, I like big eggs not little ones, oh well.  He also brought a bunch of bib lettuce and head lettuce sets, some rainbow romaine and some spinach sets so we planted them last night.  Poppie actually had to till that last little area of the garden again so we could get them into nice soft ground.  It was a blessing that he had not actually tilled that area to thoroughly, we retrieved some strawberry sets and there was volunteer potatoes coming up so we moved the strawberries and worked around the potatoes, actually we added some more potatoes to make a second bed of them in the garden.  It was a nice way to finish off the day. It was a little chilly with a little wind but it is always nice when the Grand  Littles have gone home and it is just our little family. 

I canned up my Shrub yesterday.  Shrub is a rhubarb drink made from brown sugar, vinegar and rhubarb.  I varied from the recipe I had used by soaking the rhubarb initially and then draining it out and actually blending it up so it became pulp in the rhubarbaide.  I liked it fine raw and it could have been left in the frig for months as a concentrate for making the shrub but I canned it.  It was a lovely pink in its raw state but once canned it was more a pinkish green.  I did like the pulp better once it was canned but I think the recipe I used had too much percentage vinegar, I think I will reduce the vinegar next time, a touch.  I do know I will make more of it, maybe add some strawberries to it for a little different taste.  The original recipe was equal part rhubarb, vinegar and sugar (brown or your choice).  You combine the finely chopped rhubarb and sugar and let set for 24 hours.  The next day you add the vinegar (white but apple or wine vinegar would be fun) and let set 24 to 72 hours, the longer it sets the less acidity in the mix.  I canned it after 120 hours.  I is really nice if you like lemonade style drinks or rhubarb.

Poppie had been pulled in so many direction these last few months, he has also had to deal with the fact that he is no longer on pain meds.  He has a high tolerance to pain so it is a blessing that he has been able to adjust as well as he is.  He is tired a lot of late, and seems to be physically drained easily.  He has wanted to finish up my pantry and the improvements we are making but where the mind is willing the body just can't make the payments.  He is so overextended I have been trying to be patient and do the things I can to help finish but some things have to be done for me to finish.  I am hoping to tile soon, and I really can't reach the top of my walls to finish the painting.  We do what we can and live in the chaos that we have created......

Here are some photos to show some of the progress...

 
My kitchen divider.... (see the chaos, hard to live in and build at the same time)

 
My antique, newly upcycled island... a place for those odd to put up pressure canners..

 
Our antique columns with Poppie's beloved blue pine mantle.. 

 
barn wood shelves add a touch of age to all the new.....

 
sorry about being sideways couldn't get it to flip or the next few.... Dr Seuss colors abound

 
Pantry to kitchen view of the arch, to be finished

 
Poppie putting in pantry shelves...

 
Kitchen to pantry view of the arch.... Lots of work to go but we are on our way...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....