Monday, May 6, 2013

Prayer, wisdom and peace.....

The message at Church yesterday was about your name in eternity.  We will all get a new one and the Preacher thought that our names, to come, would be about the focus God has given our lives.  He guides us as Christians to our calling and the Preacher thinks that our names written in the Lamb book of life will reflect that. I think he is probably right.  The names God gave to the people he named in the Bible always had connection with their purpose in God's plan.  Adam, Abraham, Jesus....  I don't always agree with the Preacher on things, due to the training I had as a child,

Proverbs 22:6

King James Version (KJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.


I think it can frustrate him that I don't depend upon him more.   I just wasn't raised to depend on a man, Preacher or Pastor, for my beliefs I was raised to depend on God's word.  I digress.  His message also talked about the asking for wisdom.  Have you ever prayed for wisdom?  When was the last time you asked God for wisdom in your praying?

James 1:5-6

King James Version (KJV)
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

I am not sure I have ever asked for wisdom specifically.  I asked for guidance and answers, and I like most people seek God's wisdom mostly when I am in despair.  I, as a sinner, go to him last, or have most of my life,  recently I have learned to always go to him first.  I am also learning to go to him not only in despair but daily and often.  I have said before that I pray constantly in a conversational manner to God.  I have found that when I talk to myself, which I do a lot and am not ashamed of doing so, that I am talking almost always to God.  My Yogie, talks to God (herself) a lot, I gave her permission to as a small child.  It was funny later in the evening I was reading my newest book by M. R. DeHaan, one of his most well read, The Chemistry of the Blood.  It has a large section on prayer.  I have only just begun that part of the book but it was talking about how to pray.  Not in repetition, not the in public as the publican did, but in your closest in the privacy of your home, a public prayer should be short your praying in the closet should be long and communal, you are after all communing with the Lord your father. I have always prayed in "my closet" one of my trainings but  I never really thought about the parts of the prayer.  I should be first praising of the Lord, honoring and glorifying him, then asking for ourselves, and finally others.  Communion, petition, intercession.  I had never thought of prayer like that before, I am thinking few of us do.  Last night I went to prayer in my room with God, I began with praises to him, and to my astonishment as I praised him a warmth I have never know came upon me, I felt more and more like praising and glorifying him,  I almost forgot to asked him for wisdom which was the intent of my prayer.  My prayer was long but not about what I wanted, or needed, just the glory of praising the Lord,  it was one of the most fulfilling prayer I ever prayed, the power of obedience is wondrous. The peace of God's glowing warmth that encircled me was indescribable..... tomorrow.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....