Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sheep can be the stupidest of animals, almost like a turkey, Why then is Jesus our shepard?

I have always been told that there is nothing as dumb as a sheep or a turkey.  I do know from experience that turkeys literally will die from not knowing how to to eat or drink.  They really can drown in a rainstorm so I am thinking the rumors of sheep stupidity is probably true as well.  I did live on a sheep ranch as a small child but my only memories of it are the ram bowling my brothers over, the babies being born, their tails being docked, and the bum lamb that lived in our house and didn't know it was a lamb.  Well, in reflection he did think he was a child and had no idea that sheep existed until one day he was playing in the yard, with us, and for the first time he seemed to become aware that the white things on the other side of the fenced existed.  He went over and checked them out and soon he wanted to join them and really never looked back at us... but I digress.

Poppie was recently out as his friends house and down in the field he saw a ewe under the fence rail.  He went down there to check on her and sure enough the old adage that if that if a sheep crawls under a log it will die before it climbs out seems to have merit.  There she was under the rail of the fence, it wasn't actually on her more above her but she had laid there so long she could not stand.  Poppie went to get help to get her out but she never regained her feet and had to be harvested.  Okay so sheep aren't goats.  A goat will help itself and figure out how to get out of it's messes. 

I have been contemplating sheep and goats, okay so I have no life but I was wondering why is it that we are compared to sheep in the Bible.  The Lord is our Shepard.  Goats don't really have Shepard's, they can but they are not what we think of when we think of needing a Shepard.  So are we as humans in need of a Shepard the way a sheep is? 

I do know that people are followers for the most part.  Ever see a mob in it's glory, people who would never do anything evil, mean or truly cruel in a mob situation will do unspeakable things.  People can be ensighted to follow a leader, a crazy leader to the horrors of Jonestown or the sorrows of Waco, so people can be and are lead.  People can be manipulated by their governments, by their religions, by the agendas of many things, and are every day.

Have you ever spent anytime trying to persuaded someone to your point of view and then persuade them that the point of view was wrong to begin with.  I have, not sure if I am proud of it in hindsight, but at the time I thought it was fun, or funny maybe. Have you ever said something because you knew you were being eavesdropped on just to watch would the eavesdropper would do?  Okay, so I can have a sick sense of humor but people are predictable and sad sometimes.   People can be lead easily you just have to have a good story, a good idea or a be good persuader.  I am not saying all people can, well maybe we can, you just have to be a better at it than the person you are manipulating.  There is always someone who is meaner, smarter or more cleaver than you are, we by nature are creatures of survival of the fittest and there will always be someone more fit than you.  We are all replaceable in the grand scheme of this world in general.  We are only irreplaceable to those who love us. 

The Lord made us this way, he made us with the faults we have.  Satan took advantage of our faults right from the beginning.  He is the one who plays to our faults, leads us astray and down the garden path so to speak, is it called a garden path because it once lead to a tree that was forbidden?  We are the sheep of creation and the Lord is our Shepard because we are irreplaceable to him.  Matthew 18:12 "How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? " Only the Shepard that knows his flock would know that we are in need of his daily care and know to come for us.  I am one of the beloved sheep of the Lord's flock and am blessed to be so loved.... tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Good day I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you
    by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here
    now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog
    (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment
    but I have book-marked it and also included your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep
    up the awesome jo.
    Also visit my blog post Sandpoint real estate

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....