Tuesday, April 16, 2013

How we count the days, especially the ones that we never forget where we were at a moment in time......

I remember the day that John Kennedy died.  I was only three and I know a lot of people say kids can't remember things that long ago.  I have a remarkable memory, always have, I get it from my Dad and am saddened that  his is gone to an extreme that makes your heart break.  I often worry that I will go the way he has, I truly hope not.  I remember in vivid detail all sorts of things, I can remember back to where I was 18 months and have 90 distinct memories prior to being 5, but I digress.  I remember that day John Kennedy died.  It was my brothers first birthday.  I remember that my mom was shocked and crying.  She ran all the way from our house to the sawmill, where my dad worked, it was really only across a field more or less.  When she got to my dad she told him "The President is dead they shot him".  My dad said, "I don't doubt it", unphased, he is like that the driest sense of humor in the world.  My mother was still devastated and not happy with his response.  It was one of those moments in your life you never forget, I don't think at three it was the historic value of the death I remember but the extreme action of my mother I remember and her sorrow.  I have many of those type of memories of my family events, as we all do, but then there are the other events that shouldn't even effect us, because they are not personal to us, they happen to those we don't even know but do.  They can devastate us...

I remember every second of the first hours of the 911 horror.  I remember the tears streaming down my face as I watched, glued to my TV alone, those towers being hit by the planes, the people coming out, the south tower and then the north towers coming down.  I watched, as others did, while they looked for survivors and sobbed in horror that not only were there no survivors but the bodies of nearly 3000 people were just gone.  They were a part of the rubbles of the destruction.  The worst civilian tragedy  in our history.  I would love to go to the memorial but I will probably never get to go to the east in my life so will probably not see it.  My Grandmother Gladys once told me about getting to go to  the memorial in Hawaii where the Arizona lies.  She told me that is was the closest she had ever been to God.  She said you could feel the sorrow but you could feel the Salvation of God and his love there as well.  I would imagine I would feel that at the 911 memorial or I would hope that I would, how glorious that must be.  I think in a little way I can imagine the comfort the loved ones of the victims feel about the memorials.

Yesterday will be another of those days I will remember exactly what I did all afternoon.  The bomb blasts and the tragic loss of life, the horror and the senseless carnage.  How can the evils of this earth pray upon the truly innocent.  The terrorist that do these kind of things to those who have no fault in the evil they perpetuate.  The people murdered and maimed had no part in the terrorist cause.  They were families enjoying a happy day of fun, the celebration of freedom and a holiday.  Satan does live in this world and his minions are never at rest working toward his goals.  We are left to sorrow for the lost, the ones who's lives are never going to be the same.  I praise God that the medic from the marathon were there to save so many of the ones that lost limbs.  That 911 gave them advance notice to be so orderly ready for more terrorist acts.  I praise God that the bombs went off in a slower point in the marathon so that the casualties were less than they could have been.  I praise God that there were not mass causalities which there could have been in a different moment.  I pray to God for all those involved and that they find some comfort in their pain, I pray that they seek it in God .....tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....