Thursday, February 16, 2012

Poppie comes to the rescue, grain to order, kids today, a new year of pages.

I guess that I am on to the second year of postings on my blog.  I, as most of you know, will never write the next great American novel, don't want to and don't care to.  I have never blogged as a way to become famous, get recognised or share great kernels of wisdom that people can't live without.  I know that alot of bloggers do, but no not looking for that here.  I do read blogs and it is surprising how many are very similar.  Most are about cute little families living cute little lives, alot of those are very good Christian families sharing God with their readers,  I am not sure I fit into that category but then maybe I do.  Some blogs are bout ranting and raving anger issues, others are wonderful recipe or craft blogs, while still others are Church messages or political agendas, I am thinking maybe mine is mostly a diary.  My grandmother Gladys was a great diary writer.  I remember once ready a page or two out of one shortly after her death.  Two of my aunts had dibs on her diaries and were fighting over them at the time, so I wasn't able to truly enjoy then, and in the end I am not sure who got them.  One still claims the other did something with them, and neither admit to having them, sad I would so like to get to share them.  I have decided on that note, anyone who wants to can read mine so there is no danger of it being stolen I am giving it away to any and all who care to share it.  A new year of clean pages.

Earlier in the week while at his friends house Poppie saved to baby lambs.  The lambs weren't expected to arrive until next month but Poppie was helping to clean a rabbit cage when he heard an odd noise that wouldn't stop.  He final walked down to the barn area to see what was going on.  There at the top of the horse pen was a tiny little white lamb, screaming her little head off, no other sheep around.  Poppie picked her up and went over to the sheep pen and there was a second one, that one nearer to it's momma.  He picked them both up and put them in a little sheep stall, the Shetland Pony had been trying to stomp the second one he found so he figure they need to be off with their momma without the other animals for a bit.  He called me on the phone by accident while trying to call his friend with the information.  His friend immediately joined him and they got them all tucked in safe and sound.  Professor hadn't been expecting them for a month, but it seems the little rams that they hadn't paid attention to last fall were doing a duty that was to be reserved for the big ram.  It looks like two other ewe's are soon to have babies as well, at least this time they will be expecting them.

Hoping to go get grain on Friday, maybe the Professor and Herbalist will come along this time,  they would like to check out where we get grain so that will be a nice little excursion.  I can't imaging going some place with Herbalist and it not being an exciting excursion.  I will have the kids today, Mokie has to go have the reline done on her dentures.  They will take her teeth away at 8 this morning and send her on her way, she will have several hours of shopping time in Zootown, without her teeth.  I am not sure how much fun that will be but at least she won't have to drag the baby, who had her shots this week and is still not happy about it, around. I am not sure how many I will have between 3 and 6 but Poppie will be here part of the time to help so that is good in the long term. 

I made my first batches of pressure canned food yesterday.  I wanted a canner with the wing nuts and a thicker one.  I looked at a lot of them and they varied from 200 to 600 dollars.  Really pretty much out of my range.  I looked on eBay, I know used ones are not recommended but I came across one I liked.  It was an old but a very simple model.  I is around 82 years old.  It looked in immaculate condition.  There were lots of pictures, including ones where he had used it.  I bid on it and due to my sneaky eBay skills, of biding odd pennies over what I am willing to pay got it.  I won if for 70.47 plus shipping, the other bidder thought they would be sneaky and bid 70.07 at the last minute, but I never bid zero zero bids, I am the queen of eBaying. Ok, seriously, I still worried until I got it, it didn't come with a manual and I spent the week it was being sent scanning the Internet for info on it.  I have found that through much studying, that it is a National brand, loved by many a housewife, but it is more like the newer All Americans.  I did read that I should have the gauge checked of accuracy, and my friend at the extension office reminded be of that again last night on facebook.  I will have it checked soon.  I received it in the mail and it is prettier in person than in photos.  I have seen ones a couple years old that are not in as nice condition, so that gave me some confidence to use it.  Herbalist was over and I asked her how to use it, though I had read three different manuals in the last week on how.  She explained it the way I had read it so I had a little confidence that I could do it.  Yesterday morning, I brought up the manual on my computer, and was ready to go.  I did every step word for word,  I succeed.  I manage to make 8 quarts and 3 pints.  I am so proud.  I had been doing a bad thing for years, using old recipes to make vegetable water bath style, I know that is not good but I was so scared of the pressure canner I had paralyzed myself to the need to do so.  I have now conquered a fear I have carried for 38 years.  Poppie and I spent the afternoon looking for a bigger one to buy as a second pressure canner, we actually ended up liking the process better than water bath.  I regret that my fear had limited me for so long.  I am a new person today with a new toy.  Look out meats, veggies, soups. stews, the possibilities are endless.  As Twin told me, I may never need the grocery store again.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....