Monday, February 6, 2012

Pressure canner, I am going to brave one of my biggest fears. Wish me luck.

I was in my eight grade year of school when I learned to use my moms pressure cooker.  She had showed me how to use it and since I have not used one since I don't actually recall all the ends and outs.  I do remember that in a short time of using it I was bravely using it the way she had should me.  She was pregnant with my youngest biological sister so I had the responsibility of a good deal of the cooking.  Late in October I was making rhubarb with the pressure cooker, I had cooked it and had it in the sink of cold water to let off the pressure.  It was cold to the touch so I decided to open the lids, it gave me a little trouble so I wrenched on it hard and it came open with an exploding bomb.  The lid hit me in in the forehead and blew steam and rhubarb all over me.  I had had the presence of mind to put my arm across my eyes, it probably saved my eyesight.  I had a bloody cut where the stem of the lid hit me, I had a blister on my arm that went from my wrist to my elbow and was as wide as my whole forearm.  I had a blister all over my face except for where my arm had covered my eyes.  I missed a week of school at Halloween time.  I was scabbed for weeks, and still have scars on my forehead and down my forearm.  Needless to say I have never used a pressure cooker since, I did learn later that rhubarb is not suitable for the pressure cooker as it plugs the steam vent up.  Lesson learned.

I have decided in the last few years that I may want a pressure canner, not a pressure cooker so much but I would like to have a pressure canner to have the ability to can more things.  I looked at the new ones but the one I really wanted is well over 200 dollars so not really in my budget.  The simpler ones that are cheap don't really appeal to me, I really want the one with the metal on metal and screw downs.  I found one yesterday on eBay that I liked so I bid on it,  I got it for about the same as the cheaper models that I don't want.  It is older but looks to be in great shape.  I am hoping to get it this coming week.  I am going to make canned beans.  I know I can buy them cheap in the cans but I can make them for much cheaper so that has appealed to me for some time.  So hopeful I get to slay one of my dragons this week with canned bean.  I know that once I successfully make the first batch I will be on to bigger and better things.  I intended to can a bunch of things I have not been able to from fear of the pressure canner and fear of doing it with water bath is too dangerous.  I am going to have such fun with my new toy, now if it would just get here. 

The girls are off to school, busy week, I have Mokie's extras on Tuesday so I have to change my plans to go visit my friend from Tuesday to Wednesday but hope to still go to CAKLS will have to take Bubbie but that is ok.  The girls have ortho on Thursday, Poppie has said he will only watch kids one day this week so will have to figure out how to plan Mokie's trip on Friday,  she is going to go purchase a goat cart.  We have decided to train Rootbeer to pull it if we can.  She will raise up a goat of her own to pull it as well.  I am thinking we have to butcher the three withers we have to clear out space for the new babies that will be coming in a few weeks.  We are going to move Cinnamon and Caesar into the buck pen to give the does more room.  We may move a couple of the little does to a pen where we can feed them and maybe Rootbeer more grain without the competition of the herd.  I am hoping to can goat and rabbit meat, maybe make some soups and stews that are made ahead.  Poppie may end up making me a cellar, for canning and maybe some mushroom growing.  We are going to use one or two of the little sheds for mushrooms, now that Poppie is making the barn, they won't be needed for goats and will make nice dark mushroom sheds,  the Goat manure is great mushroom growing strata and we have alot of that available.  We are going to put the rest of it in the greenhouse and on the garden so looking forward to the spring, or maybe with this weather the late winter to start.   We are going to put in a new section of fence as soon as we can pound posts.  One around the garden and one to connect from the garden fence to the goat pens so the animal, goat and canine will be confined.  Have  a great morning, coffee to drink, the ladies and Poppie just left to start their days out and about.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....