Thursday, August 4, 2011

Debate is good for the Soul, the spirit and the body, to a point.....

I lettered in speak, drama and debate in high school.  I thoroughly enjoy the process, and learned a long time ago that you had to be able to take the counterpoint.  I have not always been successful at the counterpoint to my argument, but I have made enough tries at it that over the years I have come to have some success. I find almost nothing more thought provoking than to make a statement, and try to make it in away that bugs some one or makes them think about what they believe or why they totally disagree with me.  I have enough of my dad's sense of humor, to not always take my point of view  in my heart felt plea.  I think pleading the counterpoint can be fun and thought provoking in it's own right.  I am always glad when people contribute and join in the fun.  Like a joke debate holds many truths of ourself in it. I never debate with intent to hurt someone, just make them think about that it is that they really believe, can they really back it up, or is it something they are supposed to believe.  I find that if it is really your belief it is so embedded in you that you never really see the other point of view, or the counterpoint.  It is harder in really life to take or see a counterpoint than we make think. We all want to believe that we are capable of seeing the other point of view but if it makes you so anger or frustrated that you can't see the counterpoint you are in to deep to ever see any point of view but your own. That is ok, life is about many things, there are some hollowed subjects that always make some people defensive, anger or crazy. I don't actually like to debate with those people. I worked many years in office setting and my co-workers hated me to stir the pot, but some times you just gotta.  I do know why we are not to talk politics, religion or social issues, at work, or for that matter on blogs or Facebook, but sometime you just gotta.  I love to learn why people believe something, and sometimes you can push them just far enough to actually find out exactly why they believe so passionately.  I learn more about people that way, sort of like people watching, my favorite thing.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....