Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Down to the last week of summer break, Where did the summer go?

I don't know that we actually got into the sinc of summer this year.  We never did get a spring and then full blown summer was upon us kind of like a whirlwind blowing in unannounced.  We got no time to make the spring preparations that we would normally get to do.  I lament the loss of my favorite time of the year.  I am not a summer person and when I don't get the gradual change from winter to summer it is harder on me than I would like to say.  We did not get our garden in on time or early as we like to do, the garden is doing well but so behind I don't know what I will get to harvest, or if I will get to harvest some of it.  The high water was not at a record height this year but it was surely a record in the length of time it stayed as high as it did.  Dry creek actually still has water in it and I can't remember that ever happening before this late in the summer.  The well pump going out didn't help, we were not able to keep the yard watered and it was hit and miss on the garden.  The loss of our goats to the recurrence of the predation of cougars was sad, and devastating, but sadly has become another mark of the summer season.  We will not lose anymore to them, we are just going to have to stay in a mod of vigilance and preparation.  That is a sad way for a child to spend it's childhood.  I do know that no cougars, that are spotted in our neighborhood, is safe to not getting what he gives out.  I am just afraid of all the guns, not only ours that we have to deal with but neighbors as well, one missed shot could kill a child in this tiny little neighborhood, then maybe someone will help us out.  They get mad when we call the media but they won't help without them, isn't that interesting and our plight, almost an oxymoron so to speak. We had nice farmers markets but didn't get to go camping, again the fault of the cougars, so that has disturbed our summer routine.  I don't know that this year will ever get on to a normal keel.

School starts in a week, and the summer for all practical purposes will be gone.  We will have to get back into the routine of education at the heart of our lives.  We will take the girls to the Sanders County fair for Booboo's birthday on labor day weekend. We will begin our fall preparations, wood to harvest and haul.  Goats to breed for the spring. Hay and grain to haul in.  Garden to harvest, apples to pick along the railroad right off way. Piglets will be born in late September.  The cycle of life will continue regardless or the hiccups of life,  I do hope it settles back to a more normal line.  I do so love fall, I hope this one is long and winter stays at bay for as long as it can.  I didn't get a spring so can't I have an elongated fall in it place........... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....