Sunday, August 21, 2011

Farmer's market was nice, Afternoon away in the woods priceless

We had a nice morning at the Farmer's Market. Meant lots of nice people, got to visit with friends and meant new ones again.  Got to talk with one of my friends "in-laws" and friend.  I have not got to talk to her very often and it was nice to get to know her a little more. Belle and family were excited about their plans for the afternoon, their Church family was going to be at her house for a Samoan Pig roast, all put on by a friend of hers.  The day was good for me and the a little slow for the girls.  We bought some veggies from grandpa. They will make a great stir fry, we have never grown eggplant like his and can't wait to try them.  Since our goats have eaten all of our cabbage we will be buying some from Grandpa. We are going to get about 50 or more pounds, but Grandpa wants us to wait a months or so, so will make sauerkraut when we get it.  We are going to make our regular families traditional kind, which of course we will blog about and then maybe some kefir kraut, from the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook, I had borrowed a copy several years ago from Belle.  She inspired us and we will try it and a lot of other fermenting recipes from our new copy of the book.

The girls had been invited to go over to DC's house in the afternoon, and they were going to go but found ourselves way up in the woods when we remembered they had invited the girls over at the Farmer's Market.  I am sorry to have not meant their obligation, as they had said they would go, but had such a great time I am not sorry they didn't go.  We went firewood hunting, hunting because we were looking not getting.  We found some and made a plan to go next Saturday first thing and not go to the Farmer's Market next weekend. 

We found the last few huckleberries of the seasons, Poppie loves to pick them and has the patience of Job, when doing so, so he and Yogie picked what they could find.  They managed to pick around two cups.  Booboo and I tried to keep, Saddie Sue, the crippled doxie I got from Knitter.  She has her own special gate and has learned to get around quite well even with her disability.  She must have thought she could find her house just up the road a little farther because when we let her out of the truck she ran helter skelter up the road.  Booboo had to run after her to catch her.  Next time she will be on a harness and leash, we have never had her act that way before.  We were in huckleberry country, with bear poop all over the road so didn't want Booboo or Saddie Sue to get ate.  It was 20 degrees cooler in the wood so a nice afternoon was had by all. Fall is in the air and I can't wait.  Love the Fall........... tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Its time to start making applesauce for m grandgirl! The first batch of windfalls is in the kettle boiling away. I just love that smell! I only wish I had my grandbabies here in my kitchen to smell it with me. Yaya's applesauce, from Yaya's trees, is the best in grandgirls opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....