Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cream Puff Shells a great treat and memory, greenhouse is nearing completion.

I worked on upcycled toddler outfits yesterday, the local thrift store, Woman In Timber, where I volunteer when I can, so nicely saves wool items that they can't sell for me. I am blessed for their kindness. I made a cute little boys outfit from one of the men's sweaters, little pants, sweater and hat. I cut out a little red girls outfit, I am going to applique on it, I think that that will add a wonderful special touch to the little out fits. I have several more to cut out and some of the ones I have already finished I think I will add applique to. I am not sure it will be the right time of the year to sell them, at the Flea Market, next week. I think they will be nice for my Internet stores or maybe I will add them to the pages I am adding to this blog and hope to get up and running real soon. I am also working on little jean skirts and maybe some silk tie items that may be more season appropriate for this show.

I helped Poppie with windows in the greenhouse, we are working on the ones that are about 10 feet up so I can only really hand things up or sometime help on the ladder. We have one more high window to put in and three short window to have all the glass in.  The rafters next, roofing, planting boxes and beds. The completion of the green house is something we look forward to with great anticipation. I hope to have really nice early crops from having it. The greenhouse will truly be a blessing in the years to come.

During the hot of the day, when Poppie and I were taking a coffee break, I made up some Cream Puff Shells. It helps me use up some of our extra eggs and the girls like them with cream. I made enough to have extras to share. Poppie actually ended up helping me stir in the last 4 eggs, as my arm was getting tired from the stirring.

Cream Puff Shells

1 cup water
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 eggs

Combine water, butter, salt and sugar bring to a boil. Once the water boils dump the flour in, literally all at once, stir in , it will thicken into a dense ball rather quickly. Remove from heat, one at a time add the eggs, and thoroughly stir each one in, make sure that all the egg is stirred in before adding the next egg, if you don't it will become a big gooey mess. Once all four eggs are stirred in completely, drop on to a greased cookie sheet. You can drop teaspoons full to make little crab puffs or hourderves or drop 1/4 cup ice cream scoop size for big puffs. If you add it as long strips you can make eclairs. The possibilities for this dough is endless once you master it. Crullers?  Once the pan is full bake at 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. They will be golden brown and nicely puffed, let them cool completely before handling them, don't remove from the pan until they are cool. You can store them for several days or freeze them for future use.

I fondly remember making these from a small child with my momma. She made them alot, they don't take much ingredients, but do take correct mixing skill which she taught me early on. I over the years have tried to cheat and use the mixer but ended up with a mess, tried to add all the eggs at once, mess, so don't be tempted to do it. Or do try it and you will never try it again.  My little girls, like I had in day gone by, love them, they area  relatively good treat as far as sweet treats go, you can leave out the sugar in the puffs and especially when you are making them as a savory dish. We dip them in whip cream or fill them up with whip cream, real cream is the best. Tonight we are going to put pudding in the ones left over from last night. We made a double batch that is why Poppie had to help, eight eggs is more than I can stir alone.... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....