Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial day a speical time to thank the ones gone before us, a heroes day of honor.

I was not taught to spend time at cemeteries, I think for the most part my grandparents death so decimated my mother she couldn't bare the remembrance of the loss it would have brought. For whatever reason I have no childhood memory of visiting graves. I remember going to my grandma Gladys's grave with my grandpa Jim when I lived with him for a short time after graduating. I some how got why my mother did not visit graves. It was very beautiful had a wonderfully loving headstone, and a quiet lovely lawn for her to enjoy in her rest. She was not there, I felt no need to speak to her there, I do speak to her when I cross a bridge we walked across together. Sometimes I give her a little whisper for help when I am tryng to teach, my child, a lesson she taught me but I did not speak to her at her grave. I don't visit graves myself not because my parents didn't but because the person I want to talk with is not at the graveyard, they are in heaven with the Lord or in the essence of the places we shared together.

Today we pay homage to the heroes that have passed for our freedom. I always find it funny when people complain about why someone else doesn't vote, "if they don't vote they shouldn't have a say", well the heroes that have died gave us the right to vote, and yes the right not to vote. How many dictatorial countries, where the dictator wants to justify his "leadership" says, and can prove, that the people "voted" for him, we have the right not to vote, a hard won freedom. I myself vote but that too is my right. We have so many rights won on the backs and deaths of our heroes of all ages. Countless of our fellow Americans gave all so we can enjoy all we have, no we do not live in a perfect country, we struggle and have problems but on the whole we are a very privileged and special country. Take time to day to say a prayer for the ones that gave all for it, some may visit graveyards, a special place for them to share their respect. Today I plan to remember them in a place where I feel their presence, over a barbecue, in a field, the woods or on a drive where they learned to see there world, wherever you think of the lost heroes remember why you are free to do so, and their gift to you...... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....