Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A whole week of sunshine promised, we intend to take advantage of it.

The sun has not yet peaked threw the fog that steams in our little valley. The sunshine rays are shinning off of the mist like a shinny package waiting to be opened  a warm day ahead. I hope it fulfills it's destiny today. The warmth will be such a boon for the garden to come and the gloom of this spring will not overshadow this nice promised week. We are going to till the garden one last time, with the Kubota, before Poppie has to take it back to his friend. Any future tilling will have to be done with Poppie's tractor, after he removes the gift of sand from Cubbie and Boy. He is just glad he discovered it before it ruined the motor on the tractor or the pull tiller. More windows to install in the greenhouse, but each is so exciting to see go up, the greenhouse changes so much with each addition. The little shed will be such a welcomed addition to our gardening. We have just about 3 eights of an acre that is garden, fruit , sand cherries and raspberries. Sometimes the weeds get ahead of us, but as with any on going chore is never ending. We don't use weed killers on our garden so we battle on as best we can. We will be planting sometime this week the crops that we can. I hope to move my strawberries into a new raised bed. We had had them in a raised wall the we used to make the garden but the wall has hardened, which it needed to do, so they need a kinder environment so to new beds they will go. I may move some raspberries as well, as they keep sending their protegee into the gardening area where they are not welcome, so a new home for them would help with that.

I do have to make more soap and cheese in the next couple days. I made blue cheese yesterday, now I just have to wait to see how it comes out. I have a small feta to slice and finish today. I really do have to make soap, I had re batched the soap the girls and I made Friday but forgot about it and Poppie found it bubbling over my rebatcher on to the cupboard, I saved it just as I was to walk out the door to a baby shower. I wasn't sure how it would turn out after that, I didn't get to scent it so it is plain. The next morning when Yogie and I cut it it had such wonderful coloration through it so a success of sorts in the end. It does have a nice oatmeal smell.

I hope I can get back on track and get the energy to get back into my routines, I  have just been off this spring, I don't do winters well, and neither does Poppie, so we  hope to see the spring soon, We are really getting to the age when people become or plan to become snow birds. We are not the kind of people who would do well as snowbirds so have to figure out how to be better winter people. I plan to enjoy the lovely warm day the Lord has provided..... tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Is your soap cranberry colored like the other oatmeal soap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My soaps are many colors, usually it is a soft beige color,goat milk reacts with the sodium hydroxide and cooks so to speak, so colors, I have on occasion gotten almost white but usually it is warm light beiges, but I have colored it with different spices, vegetable pulps, teas, coffees, cocoa so have some pretty colors as well, thank you for your question.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....