Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cougar? Unsure what the day will bring, Goats to feed and cheese to make.

I was up a good portion of the night, I did not hear a loud screaming or disturbance so I am thinking that the cougar either did not return or ate on the carcass around the traps.  His father was a tricky one and did just that.  My goats will have to be confined in smaller pens away from the traps.  My little long haired female Chichuaua,  Muddles, felt it necessary to get in to the trap last night.  Hurt her hip but did not break it.  She will have a limp for awhile and hopefully some more sense of self preservation.  DC's husband, Beard, helped Poppie reset it and disguise it.  I hope the rams and buck were ok, usually there is no real danger for a buck or ram, the reality is they stink.  The big ram, Caesar, weigh 300 pounds so would be a big animal for the cougar to get down and kill. Rommy, his son, who is in the pen with him would not set still of it, or visa versa.  Poppie will have to check the trap soon, if no cougar, we will pray for it to return to the trap tonight, they can return to the carcass for a couple days, a stored source of food.  The cougar had covered the body after he had eaten from it. The goat will be more work, feeding and confining until we get the cougar, it moves on or kills anew.

I am going to make cheese today, have a whole frig full of milk.  I am think maybe more feta, mozzarella or maybe a hard cheese, to set to aging. I hope to finish my carvings that I had worked on a few days back, however my cough has returned so will have to use the nebulizer before I do. I will end up freezing some milk, that will allow me to make soaps during the winter once the does no longer give milk.  We did find both peacocks last night, they had been gone all morning after the attack.  They fly so there was no real danger of them being taken.  We heard that Drama Queen had seen the cougar, around 5 in the morning yesterday, cross the road by our house, so that would sort of give us a time frame of the death.

Coffee is done, I had coffee with Lady, yesterday.  It was a very nice break in my routine and I had a wonderful visit and time. I got to go to CAKLS as well.  I took her some soap, deodorant samples and shampoo, can't wait to see how they worked for her. We may make plans for this week end when the girls are gone to Grandpas.  I pray for increased friendships alot, I know that I have to be more proactive to receive friendship so I am trying to be able to give more time to others.  I think that this week has been a good week for me in developing or redeveloping friendship.  My girls have been asked to be on the library float, they are excited to do so, they will be little pigs.  They will get to wear ear and noses, unknown about tails, but I am sure they will enjoy the event either way.  Coffee to drink and milk to process.... tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. The cougar returned, killed the young buckling and the sheep. He uncovered the doelings body and killed the others just to kill. I hear the wolf advocates say this doesn't happen all the time well we are living proof. Three dead animals in two day left to rot on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that- I know how attached you are to your animals. I would have a hard time with it, too. Good luck getting the cat tonight! I'll pray for a quick end to this ordeal.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....