Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Family, what or who it is in your life, does it make you you?

I grew up a happy child with a happy childhood, on many levels, which is hard to explain in the few words of a blog. I would suppose that the major part of any ones life is the daily routine or mundane existence but when you look back on it you remember only the extraordinary, good or bad. The sublime is often lost in our memories. I find that when I write my blog I wander, sometimes it is the daily existence of our current life, that would be the routine or mundane of now; other times it is the extraordinary which would be the memories with enough importance to remember from my childhood. I am not saying the memories are important every time but there is something about them important enough to have made my brain remember them. The other postings I make are like this one, contemplative or philosophical. I have had people comment on my childhood, after reading my blogs, they think they know my life, and to some extent they do as I try to share openly and with honesty what my childhood or life is or was like. It still intrigues me as to why people are interested enough to read it in the first place. The fact is that people only know the part of my life that number one, I share, number two the extraordinary or unusual things my memory saw fit to remember, not the daily or mundane. But isn't life more about the daily, and so, maybe in the end you don't know that much about my childhood, but you do see my daily and mundane now. So do you know the now me better than the child me? I know, I am digressing, but just saying.

I think that my blog tends to be at it's core about family. What is family? Is it the people you struggled or struggle with daily? Is it the people you learned how to survive with? Do all families struggle? Are all families dysfunctional? Is family the people who lift you up and care that you are sick, depressed, love you for who you are, are concerned that you are off somehow, or are so anger at you that they could shake you but still love you? In my experience it is any, all and more than all of these. Family is the people that created you for eons, but that is the easiest form of family, your blood. Family, as I get older, is less about blood and more about love and caring. Your blood is the family you are stuck with, and most every family has, just that, someone they are stuck with, but family is so much more than that. Family is so much more, your closest family can be blood, it can be the person who pokes you and "says don't lie to yourself" and keeps you on the right path. Family is your spouse and your progeny. Family is all things to all people, no form of family is wrong and goodness knows there is not one family that is totally right or perfect.

I have the blessing of having both small children and adult children, I raised, in my life, at this time in my life. I am actively trying to mold the lives of my two beautiful girls, with out controlling them. I learned from the first time around that you can not control the out come of anything and you should not try. God has the control of this life and you should let him do it. I have also learned from my children's memories, that childhood memories, like my childhood memories, are the faulty memories or the single memories of one person. What one brain finds important enough to remember is not the memory, the brain of the other person, that is in that memory, remembers. Each have different memories of an event or they don't remember it at all. They remember their extraordinary moment, and my moment, was just a mundane moment to them so they don't recall it all. So in reality our childhood memories are flawed moments in time. Families are flawed people in time. Families are the cradle of who you are and who you will become. I know you are an adult and think you are who you are, but no, you are still becoming something new until the moment you pass on to eternal life, a blessing only God would give us..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....