Saturday, September 3, 2011

Nourishing traditions, a great cookbook that fits in to our lives in such a good way.

Belle lent me a cookbook shortly after I meant her, now three years ago, seems like I have known her longer but it was only just over three years that we have known one another.  I have known her husband for about 10 years, I think, well anyway as long as they have lived here, one way or the other.  I meant him through my job at the sheriff's office, he is law enforcement for the Forest Service.  I had really decided shortly before meeting Belle that I needed to change our lives, I had always been pretty good about my families diets, I was a gestational diabetic and had been able to control it with diet.  I was told I would be a type 2 diabetic by 40 but due to the style of eating I cooked for the family that has never come to fruition.  I know people who have seen me yo yo over the years wouldn't believe it but it is true.  I am a yoyoer due more to inactivity and sedimentary stretches in my life than bad eating, not that I don't like food, I do.  I am much like a kitten that was starved at some point in its live, a hold over I have never over come, from my childhood.  I do try and so the battle continues. 

I just got my own copy of the book in the last few weeks, read it cover to cover.  My first introduction to it was when I borrowed, Nourishing Traditions, from Belle, read and reread it to no end in the 6 weeks I had it.  I was totally in love with the philosophies, they made so much sense and were very eye opening.  I was so excited because and it was so in line with what I was trying to do in our lives.  We have not eaten store bought bread in over three years, we have not had pop/soda in our home in longer. We are on a quest to raise as much of our meat as we can, chickens, goats, pigs, turkeys, maybe eventually peacock or maybe we will just sell them to feed the others, maybe rabbits in the spring.  We no  longer use milk products that we don't grow, you wouldn't believe what is in it. I can't afford to raise my own beef so only buy a few cuts, steak or brisket, the brisket we smoke or grind, so atleast the ground beef we eat has what I want in it. I like to grind it half and half with goat or venison.  We grow alot of our own vegetables.  I make my own sauerkraut, pickles, jellies, relishes etc.  I make most of our baked goods, some of our pastas etc.... I really try to make our life more like it would have been before the food industry and the medical profession got into bed with one another.  I really think that if you are a health conscious person you should read this truly politically incorrect and wonderful book, Nourishing Traditions.  I have been told by Lady that the Primal Blueprint has similar concepts and is a new voice on the subject.  I can't wait to read it. Would love to have another source of truth in this day of "endorsed food recommendation".

I for one am on board, love lard, love butter, and all the other good food the Lord gave us before the food companies decided to fill us up with garbage and make us think that we were doing the right thing for our bodies.  If you have ever read your history this book makes so much sense, why is it that after all the years of eating from the food pyramid that our children are getting sicker and more likely to have diabetes, children that ate from the farm a hundred years ago ate, lard, butter, beef fat and had never heard of vegetable oil or rapeseed oil, good old canola, but they weren't sick,  and they were eating the "bad stuff", make any sense to you.  If you want to read an enlightening, refreshing book, and maybe save you life and that of your families run out and buy a copy, it may be one of the best things you ever do for your life and health..... ok, stepping down from my soap box..... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....