Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sunday Chruch is so many things to so many people, sometimes good and sometime not.

Some of my earliest memories were of going to Church with wonderful people.  They were so kind and we learned of a wonderful man called Jesus. My grandparents were killed in 1965 and once they were gone we became wanders.  We at first moved into their house and my mom gave all my grandparents stuff away, I so wish I had any memento from them. She sometime regrets that she didn't wait to disperse their things, but not always.  We then moved to a 50 acre sheep farm with my mom's cousin living next door, she was always more like an aunt and to this day I think of her as such.  We continued in our same church at this time.  Shortly there after the boss at my dad's work died of cancer, it was an odd occurrence back then not like now where it affects every ones lives.  We move to a different state and went to a little church which consisted of mostly my parents group of friends.  We sometimes got to go to Grandpa White's church on Sundays when we drove to their house.  It was nice and we were all at home in his Church.  My favorite was when their church got together with the church in Lewiston, Idaho.  In ways it was one of the best churches I ever went to, I could feel God there even as a little child.  We move to Arizona shortly after my grand parents moved to Samoa,  my granddad had gone their to file saws but he and my grandmother did alot of missionary work with the Samoan people.  They brought back a foster son and a son in law after their five years there.  My mom began a pattern in Arizona of not getting along with the preacher,  the Church was so nice to us but my mom began a love hate relationship with the preacher and his wife, it began a pattern she was to have with all of the preachers of all of the Churches we went to there after.  We moved to Plains shortly there after, with a little stop in Corvallis in between, and tried to go back to the Church we had before my grand parents died, but not regularly. In Plains we didn't go, my parents wouldn't go to a different church, the local at home church that was ours they wouldn't go to as my mom didn't like the people.  I began to go to youth group of a wonderful church in Plain is junior high.  I love the kids I went with and learned so much from Pastor Williams and the Lady he made his wife after a couple years.  They are still married to this day and have I think 5 kids, but not sure.  We moved from Plains back and forth most of my high school years.  Joseph Oregon, was great we went to the Wallowa Church, mom didn't get on with the preacher and his wife after awhile.  During August of 1977, mom knew all of us older kids were wanting to get baptised but she was opposed to us getting baptised by the Preacher, so during a retreat week when other Preachers came for the week, mom talked us into be baptised by them, she did it to spite the preacher.  We moved back to Plains my senior year, I got to go back to youth group at the Church of God in Plains, mom wouldn't let me go to Church just the youth group.  I had a great summer with them and they were going to have a big baptism for some of the kids in the group.  I so wanted to get baptised again, as I had always felt a little wrong about my baptism,  I didn't feel wrong that I was baptised just that it was spitefully done.  I talked to Pastor Williams but he would not baptise me with out letting my parents know.  My mom told him I was only doing it because I was "in love" with one of the young men in the group.  My mom never did understand that that wasn't the reason.  She was anger at the thought of me being baptised in the wrong Church.  I don't even remember the young mans name now, but I do remember feeling like I was shunned as a liar after that. I am not sure they felt that way about me but as a kid I was so hurt and shattered by what my mom had done.  I wasn't a liar but I couldn't explain that to people after my mom had gotten done.  I was married about 18 months later, I wasn't allowed to marry in the wrong Church  but I did have Pastor Williams as my preacher, he counselled Poppie and I before our marriage.  He married us in the local funeral home chapel. It was a nice little chapel. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that as long as the person themselves was baptized for the right reasons in their heart... at the time of their baptism... there should never be reason to baptize again. No matter what the reasoning of another person at the time. We went into baptism for ourselves willingly because we were ready to do so. I do not feel that a person needs to rebaptize if they went into baptism themselves for the right reason. But I do think that there after the baptism if one does not feel right with God... then it's time to go to prayer. Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fifty year old I am now knows that the seventeen year old had prayed and thought that was the right path at the time.... Nannie.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I value your comments and appreciate your time to read my blog....